This may have been the first time I had ever seen an engine spray water!
An image of a 1926 firefighter.
Another old timey fire fighter.
On an old timey fire engine.
"Yous want to sit on the motorcycle?" Yes sir!
Soren chose a fire truck.
Asher chose...a spider!
SWAT truck! Apparently this beast of a machine is used roughly 50 times a year! Hello Baltimore.
One of the many historic trucks in the museum.
There were several little firetrucks that kids could cruise in while in the museum--cute, right?
Hundreds of years ago it took several trucks to put out a fire because one truck was the engine, one truck was the hose truck, and one was the hook and ladder truck. They worked for profit and would occasionally sabotage each other in the spirit of old timey gangs or thugs. Go America!
To celebrate Asher and Soren's 4th birthday we took them on a date to the Fire Museum in Maryland. I found out about the museum just last week and knew it was the perfect place for our birthday celebration. Jang watched Maeve so we could focus our attention on the boys and I am so happy that we had that special time with them.
We just happened to attend the museum on their annual 'salute to firefighters and policeman' day, which meant we were able to have a very dynamic and interactive experience with all things firefighting and rescue related. We took a ride on a 1926 fire engine! The kids got face painting! Asher and Soren got to climb into a SWAT truck and sit on a police motorcycle! Best of all was the friendly welcome we got from all of the fire fighters and police officers. There weren't many people there so it felt quaint.
The actual museum was stunning! There were so many antique fire trucks! Jamie and I learned a lot about the history of fire fighting while the boys enjoyed the children's discovery room, which was loaded with uniforms to try on, toy fire trucks, a train table, and an old engine to climb on.
I highly, hugely even, recommend the Fire Musuem in Maryland.
Mostly though--I loved celebrating Asher and Soren's birthday. I still can't believe that my four pounders are four years old. They really seem so grown up. This is an extraordinary age--one of wonder and learning. I look forward to listening to their stories and answering every question that comes my way in the next year. I wonder what will be their obsession in a year--will Asher still have a passion for fire trucks and fire fighters? Will Soren still love monster trucks and dinosaurs? Hard to predict but exciting nonetheless.
Happy Birthday to my beautiful boys!
(We celebrated their birthday on three separate occasions so more photos to come!)
Happy Birthday to my beautiful boys!
(We celebrated their birthday on three separate occasions so more photos to come!)




2 comments:
What a great birthday celebration! It looks like the boys were in Heaven! You are such a great Mom.
Wow. Still discovering new places to visit. This looks exceptionally amazing. What a fun birthday trip.
Post a Comment