Monday, September 12, 2011

My Boys


Birthday Breakfast at Wegmans!




Donuts and chocolate milk make for a festive breakfast. Jamie and I sat back and just watched the show that is "Asher and Soren." They have so much energy! So much humor! So much to say! So many questions! Emotions galore!

At four years old, Asher and Soren are good buddies. They play together splendidly--MOST of the time. They are mindful of each others passions--Soren for Asher's love of firefighers and Asher for Soren's love of monster trucks and dinosaurs. They easily incorporate these faceted interests into their play and imaginative worlds. To listen and watch them is to see creativity at its best and most productive.

Asher asks EVERY night for a story 'about fire fighters and fire trucks.' Soren asks for a story about 'monster trucks and dinosaurs.' They both say 'to later' when they mean 'later.' For example, yesterday Asher said, "See you to later!" and blew me a kiss. Swoon! They also say, 'to now' for now. Additionally, they say 'last morning' when they mean yesterday morning. They say 'cold chocolate' when they want chocolate milk. Another favorite of theirs is: "Big boys share!" They are still fond of one word statements (a la Max from Max and Ruby) with 'thirsty!' being frequently declared.

Asher and Soren are pretty good about saying please--in fact, when Soren crawls into our bed in the middle of the night he will ask, "Please may I have a drink of water?" Yes you may!

Asher is happy and blessed with a great sense of humor. He regularly makes us all laugh--even if the core of his jokes is usually about poop. He is only four after-all. Asher is still generous with his affection and remains my most cuddly child. Asher is still loyal to his 'blueberry' taggy but is nearly to the point where he could take it or leave it!

Soren is also very happy but his emotions run a little deeper. He has mastered the shoulder slump to signifiy great disappointment. He can be loud and goofy and also quiet and contemplative. He has adopted every stray taggy in the house and now practically needs a shopping cart to haul them around. He is fiercely loyal to his favorite toy of the moment, which is both impressive and maddening. He continues to love the tiniest of toys, which right now includes a tiny, tiny little bear that has been washed and battered so much that it looks very homely (or jaundiced, according to Jamie). I continue to be his favorite and I truly feel the weight of that preference for it seems much to easy for me to disappoint him. He did announce at dinner several weeks ago that I was a 'nice mommy.' I was so surprised that I said, "Really?!"

The boys generally ignore Maeve until she grabs one of their toys or they suddenly want her baby toys. They think she is cute but mostly from a distance.

I already love Asher and Soren as four-year olds. We have a fun year ahead of us. I know that I will learn so much from them and I look forward to my Deuce education.

1 comment:

Ainsley said...

chocolate donut with chocolate milk... i know that combo well. too cute.